The Smithsonian’s Journey Stories in Winslow
Winslow was the grand opening host community for Arizona Humanities’ statewide tour of the Smithsonian’s Journey Stories from June 22 through August 4, 2013. The exhibition was part of Museum on Main Street, a collaboration between state humanities councils and the Smithsonian Institution, with support provided by the United States Congress. OTM hosted Journey Stories at our partner venue, La Posada Hotel.
OTM also developed a companion exhibit, Journeys to Winslow, as well as opening and closing events and a speaker series, all hosted at La Posada with the Winslow Harvey Girls as greeters. A total of 5,800 visitors explored both exhibits, 400 attended the Grand Opening and Closing Day events, and 365 attended the Journeys to Winslow Speaker Series. Both the Journeys to Winslow exhibit and speaker series were made possible in part by Arizona Humanities.
Along with staff from Museum on Main Street and Arizona Humanities, OTM also hosted the Journey Stories Installation Workshop prior to our grand opening. Representatives from each of Arizona’s six rural host communities met in Winslow to learn how to set up the Smithsonian exhibition and to share with each other about their local companion exhibits and programs. Tiffany Ruhl from Museum on Main Street created this informative video about the Journey Stories project during the Winslow workshop.
OTM’s Special Events & Speaker Series at La Posada Hotel
- June 22: 200 at the Journey Stories Grand Opening ● Smithsonian & local exhibits, NPC Folklore Dancers, Winslow Harvey Girls
- June 27: 45 at Along Old Route 66 by John Craft
- July 11: 100 at The Long Walk of the Navajo People, 1864-1868 by Evangeline Parsons Yazzie
- July 18: 80 at The Harvey Girls of the Southwest by Ann-Mary Lutzick ● Winslow Harvey Girls Trunk Show
- July 25: 60 at Winslow and America’s First Transcontinental Airline Service by Erik Berg
- August 1: 80 at Japanese American Internment in Arizona by Karen Leong
- August 4: 200 at the Journey Stories Closing Event ● Smithsonian & local exhibits, Hopi Dancers, Winslow Harvey Girls
Journeys to Winslow Community Partners
A total of 3,080 visitors attended related programs hosted by local community organizations. Thanks to all our community partners for their participation: Brigham City Restoration, the City of Winslow, Homolovi State Park, the Just Cruis’n Car Club, La Posada Hotel, the Winslow Arts Council, the Winslow Chamber of Commerce, the Winslow Public Library/Friends of the Library, the Winslow Rotary Club, and Wiseman Aviation.
Community Partner Special Events
- June 29: 200 at the Just Cruis’n Car Club’s Show-and-Shine & Talent Show, Standin’ on the Corner Park/Route 66 Plaza
- July 13: 75 at the Winslow Arts Council’s Western Art Show, Arizona 66 Trading Company
- July 27: 300 at the Journeys to Winslow Fly-In & Car Show, Winslow-Lindbergh Regional Airport ● Planes, cars, historical displays, pancake breakfast, shuttles to La Posada for Journey Stories
- August 3: 450 at Suvoyuki Day, Homolovi State Park ● Archaeological tours, Hopi Dancers, Hopi artists & demonstrators
Community Partner Exhibits & Programs
- June 8, June 22, July 6: 168 at the Outdoor Family Film Series, Winslow Public Library
- June 22-August 4: 1,800 at the Southwest Native American Journeys Exhibit, Winslow Visitors Center ● Native American demonstrators
- June 22-August 4: 25 at the Brigham City Guided Walking Tours, Brigham City
- June 22-August 4: 62 at the Homolovi II Guided Walking Tours, Homolovi State Park ● Shuttle from Winslow Visitors Center